Week 2 (For a printable PDF of this lesson, go here.)
The Story of Music
Welcome: Sing theme song and teach next line.
Getting to know you: Pick four more children to share something about themselves and play a song on the bells.
Activity: Mr. Potato Head activity
1. We are going to learn about music today by using our bodies.
2. Mr. Musical Max is missing body parts. Pick a part and tell us how you would use that body part to make music.
a. Hands: How would you make music with your hands? Clapping
1. make rainstorm using hands (small pitter – patter to loud rain). Use signs for kids to show loud and softs of rain.
a. principle – loud and soft in music.
b. Mouth: How do you make music with your mouth? Singing
1. teach first two lines of school song.
a. principle – all bodies are different so everyone has a unique sound.
c. Feet: How can you make music with your feet? Stomping
1. Sing: “if you’re happy and you know it stomp your feet”
2. Show clogging shoes and demonstrate sounds made by feet.
a. principle – music makes us feel happy and is made up of rhythm and beats.
Coloring books: Books to take home and color that talks about some things we learned about today. Color and read it with family.
Goodbye Song: Sing Adios Amigos