By the end of this school year, I hope each child will be able to:
- Know that I care about them and believe that they are a unique, special child with wonderful potential
- Feel happy about learning music, making music, and participating in music class (These are my MOST important goals!)
- Have enjoyed tasting delicious music from at least 1 each of DM-standard musicals, folk songs, holiday songs, classical solo pieces, classical symphonic pieces, choir pieces, small ensemble pieces, and class-composed and other children’s own songs.
- Sing the Delicious Music theme song
- Sing at least one other song from the curriculum
- Sing at least one song in Sol-Mi (=using solfège note names)
- Demonstrate how to play a C Major scale on the resonator bells
- Play 4 songs on the resonator bells at tempo with 100% accuracy.
- Write a song (using a Song Garden page or a blank piece of paper) independently using the resonator bells
- Play their song for at least one other person
- Sing and sign a C Major scale using solfège hand signs
- Sing with 100% accuracy a minor third interval (sol-mi/mi-sol)
- Name at least 3 different musical instruments
- Demonstrate what sound is (show that sound is made by sound wave vibrations caused by an object striking another object)
- Demonstrate how to play at least one music game with other children.
How I plan to accomplish this:
- Teach them weekly with love and effective preparation that includes age-appropriate, fun learning activities
- Prepare home (paper assignments and other support materials) and online materials that allow the children to work towards these goals
- Communicate these goals to parents
- Invite parent participation
- Follow-up on assignments
- Assess and track children’s progress
- Evaluate children at the end of the year, acknowledge each child’s progress, express my confidence in their musical abilities, and encourage continued music learning
Here is a printable (PDF) version of this page: Kindergarten Curriculum Goals
A storytelling version of the kindergarten curriculum is found in The Story of Music.
Assessments can be made both at home and at school using the Smiles Chart.